[KS] Gwageo cheongsan (Kwageon ch'eongsan)

Robert Ramsey sr1 at umail.umd.edu
Tue Sep 10 16:19:46 EDT 2002

Just a footnote to Gari's message.  The 1974 Nihon Kokugo Daijiten, though making no explicit
claims, generally gives what the editors believe to be something close to the earliest
citations.  In this case, the technical accounting term, "liquidation," is of course the first
entry for _seisan_, and the two citations given for the entry are both from the Meiji period,
one from a Japanese-English dictionary and the other from an 1871 shinbun zasshi.
	But the kwake chengsan usage is the second entry (out of four) offered by the
dictionary: "bringing an end (kimari o tsukeru koto) to a relationship or matter of the past",
and the various citations for that, too, are from the Meiji--in this case works of fiction.
The editors don't say anything about "... starting life again," but I notice the much older
Koojien dictionary (my copy is from 1955) has as part of the definition of "kako no kankei
jikoo, mata wa shugi shisoo nado o kirei ni sutesaru koto" the phrase "kirei ni" ('cleanly').
It may be a bit of a stretch, but if I had to guess, I'd say that's where Kenkyusha and maybe
Kim Minswu, too, got the interpretation of starting life again.  Maybe that was what Meiji
usage implied, but I wonder why the Nihon Kokugo Daijiten folks would have seen fit to edit all
that out of their definition...

Robert Ramsey
sr1 at umail.umd.edu