[KS] Mu Chong

Andrei Lankov Andrei.Lankov at bigpond.com
Thu Apr 17 06:55:46 EDT 2003

Dear Balazs,

I suspect that the Hungarian document is wrong, although circumstances of Mu
Chong's death are indeed shrouded in mystery (like most of the NK history,
I'd add). In 1991 South Korean journalists located Mu Chong's daughter in
China and conducted a series of interveiws with her. According to these
interveiws, Mu Chong left North Korea for China in late 1950. In 1952 he
returned to Korea - allegedly, with some help from Peng De-huai. However, by
that time Mu Chong's health had seriously deteriorated, and soon after his
return, in October 1952, he died at a military hosital in Pyongyang. See:
Mirok ChosOn minjujuUi inmin konghwaguk. Seoul: Chung'ang ilbo sa, 1992,
pp.142-148.

In 1994 Mu Chong (BTW, his real name was Kim Mu-jOng) was officially
recognized as one of the founding heroes of the DPRK, and his tomb is now to
be found in the Revolutionary Martyrs' Cemetry near Pyongyang. According to
Hangere sinmun journalist who saw the tomb (see: HS, 22 July 2002), the
inscription states that he died 9 August, 1951 - an obvious contradiction
with the above-mentioned interveiw.

However, in course of my own research I have once encountered a situation
when the 'official' tomb inscription gives a very suspicious date of death
(the case of Pak Ui-wan, a prominent Soviet-Korean offcial). Thus, we have
to be careful. Anyway, it appears unlikely that Mu Chong was executed.

Best regards

Dr. Andrei Lankov
China & Korea Centre,
Faculty of Asian Studies,