[KS] Re: The God of Tonghak

Don Baker dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Dec 17 14:57:02 EST 2003

I'm glad Tim Lee brought up the question of Pak Illo's use of the
term Haneunim way back in the  middle of the Chosun dynasty. I
discussed Pak's use of that term in an article I published well over
a decade ago. (That article, "Felicitous Fallacy: James Gale and the
Creation of Korean Monotheism," appeared in a conference volume from
a linguistics conference at the University of Toronto and therefore
has not been seen by very many people.) In that article, I argued
that Pak, an orthodox Neo-Confucian, used  that term as a synonym for
Ch'eon, as Neo-Confucians use that term.  As such, it resembles the
use of haneul in the Song of Flying Dragons. In other words, it does
not refer to an indigenous Korean deity but instead is simply a
vernacular term for a Neo-Confucian concept imported from China.

By the way, the site where Tim Lee found that reference to Pak Illo,
hananim.com, is an interesting site. It is not a Christian site.
Rather, it appears to be run by people who are either members of or
sympathetic to Taejong-gyo, the Tan'gun religion. I say that because
several times that site mentions the scriptures of Taejong-gyo,
including the Ch'eonbugyeong, a short text which believers claim is
the world's oldest scripture. The point of that site appears to be to
prove that  Koreans don't need Christians to teach them about
Hananim, since they have known about, and worshipped, Hananim ever
since the days of Tan'gun Choson. However, to support their claim
that Koreans have an ancient tradition of monotheism, that site
quotes Underwood, Gale, and Hulbert!

If anyone is interested in reading more about the claim that ancient
Koreans were not only monotheists, but also believed in a Trinitarian
God, see Sung-Deuk Oak's article in Vol 5, no. 1 of Acta Koreana
(January, 2002). That article is entitled "North American
Missionaries' Understanding of the Tan'gun and Kija Myths of Korea,
1884-1934." An Hosang, one-time leader of Taejong-gyo, has provided
an English-language introduction to Taejong-gyo's trinitarian
theology.  It is available in vol 3,no. 3 of the Korean Journal, and
also as an appendix to his Korean-language work "Baedal.Dongi kyeolye
ui han yet yeoksa" A recent argument that  trinitarian theology has
long been a part of Korean tradition  is Cho Chayong's Samsin Min'go,
which came out in 1995.

--
Don Baker
Director, Centre for Korean Research