[KS] Hanonim and Pak Illo

Gari Keith Ledyard gkl1 at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 17 23:15:35 EST 2003

	A day or two before Tim Lee mentioned in his posting the poem by
Pak Illo, Bob Ramsey had referred to it in a private message to me.
Naturally, given the position I had taken in earlier messages, I had to
check it out.  I was having difficulty finding a text of that poem so was
grateful for Tim's pointing out the quotation of it on Hananim.com.  Like
Tim, I'm not sure I understand the poem completely.  But, accepting his
challenge, I'll venture the following literal translation, which obviously
makes no literary claims. Transliteration is in the Middle Korean version
of the Yale system:  o= "arae a," wo= modern "o," u= modern "^u, eu,"
etc., wu= modern "u," e= ^o or eo, etc.  This system allows unambiguous
reconstruction of the original Korean alphabetic orthography.

Now and then with lifted head I gaze at the North Star,
And shed tears others wouldn't understand straight toward Heaven.
I humbly pray for wishes held my whole life long. Oh, Hanonim!

Sisilo melitule pukcin.ul polapwokwo,
Nom mwolonon nwunmwul.ul Thyen.ilpang.ey tiinota.
Ilsoyng.ey phwum.un stus.ul piwopnota Hanonim.a!

	I'm not sure about the second line and hope for correction if
needed. I have difficulty with the concept of shedding tears upward,
"straight toward Heaven."  The MK verb root tii- is glossed in modern
dictionaries as ttele ttuta, generally meaning "to drop" or "let fall" but
with many many idiomatic extensions.

	Don Baker's conviction that Hanonim in this poem means Heaven
itself rather than "Hananim" as we now use it seems persuasive to me.
Note that the poet looks toward the North Star, itself a long-established
object of worship in East Asia, as the conventional center-locus of
Heaven, and speaks of "straight toward Heaven."  I agree with Don that
Heaven in this poem should be taken in its Neo-Confucian sense as the
source of morality and principle.  Adding the "-nim" to Heaven personifies
it, but from a Confucian point of view it would be going too far to say
that it deifies it.
	Still, the fact remains that, if this text is authentic as an
expression of Pak Illo in his lifetime (1561-1642), the compound noun form
"Hanonim" clearly existed before the 19th century, contrary to what I said
in one of my earlier postings. A word that exists changes and grows
throughout its life in human society, and there's no reason that it can't
be plucked out of the air and given a new meaning.  It happens all the
time in all languages.  The question for me though, is: Is this text
authentic?

	There is a textual problem that bothers me.  The only edition of
the <(Pak) Nogye S^onsaeng munjip> that I can find in authoritive and
comprehensive modern bibliographies of Chos^on period works is dated
"Kwangmu kapchin," which corresponds to 1904.  Bob Ramsey tells me that in
the entry for this title in the <P'yojun Kug'^o taesaj^on> published by
the National Academy of the Korean Language (a government-established
research institution), an edition of Ch^ongjo 24 (=1800) is cited.  But no
such edition is found in the <Han'guk kos^o chonghap mongnok> (published
by the National Assembly Library), which gives only the 1904 edition,
listing 19 complete and two partial copies by location, all in Korea
except for one in Harvard-Yenching.  (I'm sure there are other copies in
Japan.)

	The significance of this is that, in terms of datable texts of Pak
Illo's poetry, all that anyone could have any hope of finding would be
those published in 1904.  If anyone knows of a text dated 1800, I hope
they will check out this poem in that edition, if it exists.  Perhaps
those up at Harvard (are you out there, David?) could look up the
Harvard-Yenching copy of Pak Illo's collected works, check out this poem,
and see if there are prefaces or postfaces which give useful information
on the history of the text.  Pak Illo (ho Nogye) is for sure no
insignificant poet.  Surely there must be scholars out there who can
comment on his writings from long experience in reading and interpreting
him.  Their opinions on our present problem would be worth having.

	Jim Grayson and Tim Lee have commented very interestingly on John
Ross's published remarks on Hananim, which obviously deserve attention.
But just how many Koreans can Ross, up in eastern Manchuria, be talking
about in the first half of the 1870s?  One gets the idea from the force
with which he argues his position that he had pretty decisively ruled out
in his own mind any translation but "Hananim" for "God," especially
"Sangje," knowledge of which on the part of Koreans he seriously
misrepresented, even if perhaps unwittingly.  I can accept his sincerity
and I would have agreed with him that a native Korean term was to be
preferred above others so long as it was not obviously marred by
connotations unacceptable to Christians at that time.  It is noteworthy
too that he specifically recognized "Hananim" to be semantically identical
to "Ch'^onju."

	On another matter that has come up, I don't think you can argue
from numbers, as Tim does, to demonstrate the unliklihood of Catholicism
and Tonghak spreading their concepts beyond their respective communities
of believers.  When you read the comments of the secret investigators sent
down to Ky^ongsang Province in Twelfthmoon of (lunar) 1863 to investigate
Tonghak, it's clear that just about everybody in the province must have
heard the details of the religion.  The scene was very clear for Chief
Investigator Ch^ong Un'gu:
	"As I galloped under the stars from Bird Pass [the border between
Ch'ungch'^ong and Ky^ongsang provinces] to Ky^ongju, a distance of over
400 li (172km) going through a dozen different counties, not a day passed
when we didn't hear about Tonghak.  There wasn't an inn maid or a mountain
boy who wasn't chanting and telling others about its texts.  They use the
name Ch'^onju.  They say, "Serve Ch'^onju," placidly with no sense of
embarrassment.  They can't help but do so openly.  We should understand
that this thing has spread vigorously and is flourishing..." etc.
	These are just the first few lines of a long and detailed report
(see <Kojong sillok>, 1/9b-10b: Accession Year, Twelfthmoon 20 (Jan. 28,
1864). Of course they're not talking about "Hananim," but the point is
that Tonghak was ablaze.  Who could not know what was in the air?  There
probably really was only a small number of believers relative to the whole
population.  But in a rural society where the only news was what one
heard, everybody seems to have known what was going on.  You can't say,
"they only have a few believers in a population of millions, so how can
the population as a whole know?"  Even though this situation would have
slackened off considerably after Ch'oe Che'u's execution, that event in
itself would have impressed the whole phenomenon on people's minds even
more strongly.  The same thing could be said for the Catholics.
Everybody had to know that thousands were being killed from 1866 to 1873.
One would would have been a fool not to be informed on what had brought
these victims to their fate.  If Catholics and Tonghaks had by the 1870s
begun to use the vernacular form of Ch'^onju-- that is "Hananim" or
related forms-- truly everybody would have known that name.  And that's
pretty much what John Ross was telling us.

Gari Ledyard