[KS] Korea's Confucian Tradition

Koen De Ceuster koen.de.ceuster at pandora.be
Tue Feb 11 05:44:33 EST 2003

Sure, I am obviously not contesting the existence of a Confucian tradition
in Korea. At the same time, I do not want to stick too rigidly to Hobsbawm's
definition: some (modern) traditions are plainly invented, many also have
antecedents. What I am interested in, is how these antecedents are
reinterpreted to suit contemporary demands. You use the word 'translation.'
Well, that is indeed what I was thinking of. Following all the critique in
late 19th C Korea on Confucian traditions, some form of 'translation' must
have taken place in order for it to regain some standing. So, in that sense
I am following Hobsbawm in as far as indeed this tradition is
(re-)'invented' in the process of modernization.

But we may be talking about two different things here: the residue of
Confucian traditions in Korean societies, and the discourse on Korea's
Confucian tradition. They are altogether two different things.

Koen