[KS] Korea's Confucian Tradition

Michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 11 08:03:47 EST 2003

This "invention" debate might be overly focused on the definition of
invention.  For all of its faults and ambigulities, the concept was pushed
forward in the Hobsbawm book in close proximity to Anderson's "imagined
community".  With the simultaneous emergence of interest in the constructed
nature of modern statist nationalisms it just took off.  Keith is right,
however, I've never seen anyone try to narrow the meaning or critique its
broad and often rather ham fisted use.  But then nobody ever accused our
cultural studies colleagues of precision.

Mike R.