[KS] 'Invented' 'Traditions'

Keith Howard kh at soas.ac.uk
Tue Feb 11 07:33:36 EST 2003

With reference to Koen de Ceuster and Frank Hoffman's recent EMails:

Now that Terrence Ranger has departed this life, I increasingly find
it appropriate to delete the very words 'invented tradition' from my
vocabulary. Within H&R's definition, connections to a past, whether
reinterpreted or not, is a necessary given. This presents us with a
number of problems, not least of which concerns the nature of
'tradition'. Tradition, we must surely accept, evolves and develops,
rather than being frozen in the mists of time.

Again, who decides on the elements that constitute 'invention'? In
H&R's 1983 book, Ranger's discussion of Scottish kilts illustrates
this perfectly. If you fancy telling a Scottish National Party member
that his kilt is based on a pattern of material imported from the
Netherlands by Lancashire mill owners, and that clan tartans were
merely a marketing ploy by those same mill owners -- however true
this may be -- you deserve to end up with a bloodied nose: the SNP
member will clearly not share your opinion. Similarly, in my work on
Korean music, I once thought of SamulNori as an 'invented tradition',
but quickly realised that no Korean playing the music agreed.
SamulNori may have first been performed on stage in February 1978,
and the performance style may be geared to a contemporary setting,
but it is based on percussion band music stretching back many
centuries. The roots of the tradition are more important to Korean
SamulNori musicians than the changes created in and since 1978.

Incidentally, reacting to Frank's comment that nothing similar to the
H&R definition of 'invented traditions' comes to mind in respect to
Korean Confucianism, I would recommend some of the research by Kim
Kwangok (particularly: 'Socio-cultural Implications of the Recent
Invention of Tradition in Korea', published in Papers of the British
Association for Korean Studies 1: 7-27).

Keith Howard

--
Dr Keith Howard
Senior Lecturer in Music, SOAS,