[KS] 500 Won in 1911?

Morgan E. Clippinger clippim at megapipe.net
Tue Feb 18 09:23:54 EST 2003

According to one article on the general subject of the Japanese economy, the
exchange rate between the US dollar and the yen was $1 = 2 yen around 1911.
It seems to have been relatively stable from around 1900 to 1920.  So 500
yen would be $250.  In 1911 $250 was a lot of money, so now all you have to
do is find out what $250 in 1911 equals in 2003.  But how much buying power
would that be in Korea in 1911?  I take it that the 500 yen fine was the
maximum.  Do you know what the minimum fine was?

An interesting article on the subject, and probably more than you want to
know, is:   PDF]Japan's Economy in the Twentieth Century.  File Format:
PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
www.jei.org/AJAclass/JEcon20thC.pdf -

morgan clippinger