[KS] Spikes Question

David Mason mntnwolf at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 22:05:12 EST 2003

Dear Listmembers,

--- joy kim <joykim at usc.edu> wrote:
> "I have heard that the North Koreans drove long
> metal rods into the ground during the Korean
> Conflict. The South Koreans had to remove these
> after the war. The purpose was to disrupt the
> natural energy flow within the country (most
> probably a concept based in their religion or
> ancient teachings).

I am another one who has paid attention to this sort
of subject over the years, and I can say that I have
never heard of North Koreans doing such a thing in
the Korean War.  We should recall that the northern
army was not really in the south for very long, and
would not have had much time to do such things.

Also, until MacArthur's surprise invasion at Incheon,
the northerners thought that they were taking over
the south and reuniting all of Korea; they would not
have had the any incentive to weaken the south long-
term in any way.  Until their retreat, and it's safe
to assume that they were in a hurry with other things
on their mind.

Popular theory has the national energy running south-
ward from Paektu-san to Chiri-san along the "Paektu-
daegan" line of peaks.  It would be interesting to
know/speculate whether or not during the last fifty
years the north has driven iron spikes into any peaks
of the T'aebaek-sanmaek (Range) just above the DMZ,
to cripple the South's vitality.  If they did, it is
obviously not working...  good data to disprove the
theory at last   :-)

We know that the Pyongyang authorities have strongly
revived the symbol of Tan-gun as national founder,
and regard Paektu-san and Myohyang-san as "holy"
places.  Have any of you North-Korea watchers ever
seen them using the Paektu-daegan concept...?

Best regards for 4336,
David Mason

=====
David A. Mason,  Tourism Consultant
Visit Korea Year,  Ministry of Culture and Tourism
WEBSITE:  http://www.san-shin.org

#502-504, Jugong Apts.  Kangdong-gu, Sangil-dong
Seoul City  134-090   KOREA     Mobile Phone: 011-9743-9753
office FAX:  82-2-318-6005     home FAX: 82-2-442-7391