[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

Max Christian max at max.tc
Tue Jan 28 16:07:56 EST 2003

At 12:00 28/01/2003 -0500, David McCann wrote:
>urged that a distinction be drawn between
>"anti-American" (ban-mi) and critical of American policies (bi-mi).

I recently attended one of the so-called "anti-US" demonstrations in
Seoul, and although I'm English, my caucasian appearance is such that
Koreans often assume I'm American unless they're told otherwise.  I
felt reasonably welcome and I think this backs up David's point that
the public mood is anti US policy, not anti-American.  (If anything,
Koreans tend to be pro-American in many non-political aspects.)

I would not recommend trying to make a defence of US policy, as that
could lead to trouble, but I'm certain that an academic group would
have no problems at all as a result of the current atmosphere there.