[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

John Frankl jmfrankl at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 28 16:18:31 EST 2003

Dear All,

Professor McCann raises an interesting and often overlooked distinction;
this can only be positive and useful, particularly right now when so many
nuances are being quashed for the "greater good" of national unity (in
America, not Korea!).

But I also see Frank's point--if I understand him correctly. Professional
politicians and academics may make these fine distinctions, but they are
often lost on (or deliberately witheld from) the general public. Many of
my non-Asian friends and colleagues in Korea report a sharp rise in the
number of random "f$%# you"s and "Yankee go home"s over the past six months.
I say "non-Asian" as opposed to American to illustrate a point--the
average non-Asian person on the street in Seoul is "American"--despite
the fact that the friends referred to above also hail from England,
Germany, Denmark, and Canada--and s/he is treated as such. It is difficult
to view the unprovoked insulting of a Danish office worker as much more
than rude behavior, let alone an expression of a well-articulated
distinction between "ban-Mi" and "bi-mi."

This sort of ignorant conflation, of course, is not unique to Korea. In
the U.S., after 9/11, many immigrants from India, for one example,
suffered violence.

Returning then to  Professor Robinson's very practical question, I would
have to say yes, there is some possibility that the group would be
subjected to verbal insults and other unfriendly behavior.

John Frankl