[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

Joel Motsay motsay at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 04:01:40 EST 2003

My own perception of dangerous situations in Korea differs somewhat from
what I've read on the board here. I have lived very close to Yonsei's main
gate and seen more than my fair share of protests there. I've also
accidentally stumbled upon huge demonstrations downtown. I have not had any
trouble in those situations, and I would agree with the characterizations of
those events that have already been posted in this thread. My own experience
has been similar to those expressed by Michael Hurt: the real problems occur
in bars, on subways, or street corners away from the demonstrations.

Once I was beaten pretty thoroughly in a club in Hongdae. I can't say for
sure that anti-Americanism was the cause, but I couldn't think of any other
reason. No one said a word to me before or after the attack. I was just
standing there, drinking a bottle of water, when someone punched me from the
side. I turned to defend myself and a bunch of people knocked me to the
ground. People pummeled me until some huge US GI pulled me to my feet and
dragged me out. I agree with Michael Hurt's opinion about Hongdae: It can be
dangerous.

Another time I was simply walking down the street with a German friend early
in the evening when I noticed a couple of Korean men glaring at us. One of
them walked right up to me and hit me over the head with his umbrella.
Again, no words were exchanged.

After the first incident, I was told that as a white male I look like I
might be a GI, and maybe I was assaulted for that reason. To avoid a similar
situation, I grew a beard. That didn't matter. Korean people still were
incredulous when I told them I'm not in the military. I was wearing a beard
when the second incident occured. I then grew my hair so long that I wear it
in a pony tail, and Korean people still tell me they think I'm in the
military. It seems that it's hard for a non-Asian male to not look like a GI
in the eyes of many Koreans.

Despite these phyical incidents, as well as a few very uncomfortable verbal
encounters, I agree with the poster who said that it's probably safer to
bring a group of students to Korea than to Washington DC (I've lived there
too). I would not be here if I felt the physical risk was great. I don't
know anyone else who has been physically attacked, although I've read about
3 incidents in the newspaper. I honestly believe that I was just unlucky.
However, the students should know before they come that there is some risk.
I heard that the US Embassy here in Seoul keeps tabs on reported assaults.
Perhaps it would be wise to contact them about this issue.

Regards,

Joel Motsay