[KS] anti-Americanism in ROK

matthew shapiro mattheas at usc.edu
Wed Jan 29 14:20:39 EST 2003

Hello all:

This is not a general response to the recent postings but more particular to a statement made in the posting by Mike Breen.

Breen wrote: "The problem is the widespread misperception in Korea that, in the details of the bilateral relationship, the US acts in its own interest and against Korean interest."

I realize that I am bringing up an issue of contention, but are the members of the list in general agreement that this is truly a "misperception"? The nature of the US-Korea relationship cannot be summed up in so simple a statement, no matter the position.

I, for one, was surprised that the author of a very insightful piece of literature on Korea could come up with nothing more substantial.

Matthew Shapiro
Political Economy and Public Policy Program
Economics Department
University of Southern California