[KS] UBC Korean Studies conference

dbaker dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Jun 2 00:04:11 EDT 2003

I know this is rather short notice, but we are trying to organize a conference at UBC this coming October. Could you please post this notice
for us so that we can find out if there are many Koreanists out there interested in Canadian-Korean relations?

Call for Papers:

In Celebration of the 40th Anniversary
of the Establishment of Diplomatic Relations
Between Canada and the Republic of Korea,

The Centre for Korean Research
at the University of British Columbia

announces a conference on
Canadian-Korean relations

to be held on the UBC campus
in Vancouver, British Columbia
October 3 -4 , 2003

Scholars both in Korea and in Canada interested in presenting a paper on any aspect of Korean-Canadian relations are invited to send their name, academic affiliation, and proposed topic (a title and a one -paragraph abstract) to
Don Baker, Director
Centre for Korean Research
C.K.Choi Building, 1855 West Mall
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2  CANADA

proposals may also be emailed to
dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca  or to stevenhl at interchange.ubc.ca
or faxed to 604-822-5207
Proposals must be received by June 30.  You will be informed of our decision
by the end of July.

Papers may be on any aspect of Korean-Candian interaction, from the political or economic to the cultural, religious, educational, or artistic.  Proposals on Koreans in Canada and on Canadians in Korea will also be entertained, as will papers on Canada’s relations with North Korea or on the role Canada has played, or may play in the future, on the Korean peninsula.

It is our hope that this conference, besides celebrating Korean-Canadian friendship, will also reactivate the dormant  Association for Korean Studies in Canada. Therefore scholars who have been members of the Association for Korean Studies in Canada are especially encouraged to present paper proposals.

Those who are selected to present  papers at this conference will have their transportation to Vancouver, as well as their housing and their meals during the conference, provided by the Centre for Korean Research with funds supplied by the Korea Foundation and the Korea Research Foundation.

Don Baker
Director, Centre for Korean Research
Interim Head, Department of Asian Studies