[KS] A book about a year in Pyongyang

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 05:32:13 EDT 2003

Dear Listmembers,

A. Please may I draw your attention to what I believe is
a unique resource on North Korea, now at last available.

This is a book by the late Andrew Holloway, who lived for
a year in Pyongyang in the late 1980s. Despite the lapse of time,
I believe his perspective and insights remain fresh and important.

I am not aware of any similar primary source of this kind in English.
(Erik Cornell's recently published North Korea under Communism
[RoutledgeCurzon, 2002] is only partly autobiographical, covering a
period even longer ago [1975-77]).

I introduce Andrew's book at: http://www.aidanfc.net/pyongyang.html
The book itself begins at: http://www.aidanfc.net/a_year_in_pyongyang_1.html

The rest of my website - constructed by Andrew's son Ross, to whom
eternal thanks for his patience - may, I fear, be of less interest to this
audience:
driven as it is, regrettably, more by the dictates of commerce than
scholarship.
But it has some rants, ruminations, and even limericks (not Korea-related).

B. May I also mention a couple of other newer writings, which Listmembers
might not otherwise run across:

1. The latest of five papers I have written for WriteNet for the UN High
Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) has just been posted at:
http://www.unhcr.ch/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rsd?search=coi&source=WRITENET
(This is an index; then click on the date [1 May 2003]). This paper is
in fact more about the current North Korea nuclear crisis in general,
than refugee issues per se.

2. A similar but briefer essay on the North Korean question is due to
appear in the July issue of Prospect. For those who don't know it, this
is a monthly mag which styles itself as "Britain's Intelligent Conversation".
A bit like Encounter of old, but without the CIA connection...

Best wishes
Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University
17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586 mobile:  +44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663 ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com website:  www.aidanfc.net