[KS] Alliance of Scholars Concerned about Korea

Ruediger Frank rf2101 at columbia.edu
Thu May 1 12:52:15 EDT 2003

Dear KS-Listmembers,

I wanted to inform you about an initiative based in the United States (but
not confined to it), triggered by the recent events on the Korean
Pensinsula. I attach the brief mission statement; for more information or
to join us, please visit the Alliance of Scholars Concerned about Korea
(ASCK) at www.asck.org
In case you have any inquiries etc., please direct them to manager at asck.org

Cheers,

Ruediger Frank

Mission Statement
We are scholars working in the United States and other countries who join
together out of concern about current US policies toward the Korean peninsula.
We believe that current problems on the Korean peninsula and between the US
and the two Koreas, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the
Republic of Korea, can only be solved through dialogue, cooperation, and
the active pursuit of peace. We feel the responsibility to speak out
against policies that increase tensions in Northeast Asia and may lead to
another catastrophic war in Korea. We wish to add our voices to a
constructive discussion on how to achieve a peaceful, unified Korea
existing in harmony with its neighbors, including the United States.
The Alliance of Scholars Concerned about Korea (ASCK) is dedicated to the
promotion of mutual understanding between the people of the United States
and the people of Korea, both North and South. The goals and activities of
ASCK include:
1. Helping scholars, students, policy-makers and the general public learn
about Korea, both North (DPRK) and South (ROK), through accurate,
historically informed analyses;
2. Contributing to the constructive and peaceful development of US-ROK and
US-DPRK relations;
3. Facilitating the exchange of scholars and students between the US and
the DPRK.
We realize that this is a critical moment in US-Korean relations. Our
organization is committed to promoting a US policy toward Korea that is
informed, humane, and in everyone's mutual interest.