[KS] Does "the Orient" still exist?

Sang Hwan Seong sseong at uni-bonn.de
Wed May 7 19:33:58 EDT 2003

Dear Tobias and list members,

This question seems to be obviously related to "Language Change". And the academia turns out to be a very conservative place in retaining a certain terminology. The following passage comes from´"Language History, Language Change, and Language Relationship" by Hans H. Hock and Brian Joseph (1996:4-5, de Gruyter):

"At a recent meeting of the American Oriental Society the proposal was made to rename the organization: It was argued that although the Society is dedicated to the languages, literatures and cultures of ALL of Asia, from Israel and Palestine to China and Japan, its name suggests an interest only in the Far East. The proposal was greeted with disbelief, even outrage, and was quickly voted down."

It is true that for many speakers of North American English the term 'oriental' has now a negative connotation. I cannot write down all the interesting points found in the above book with respect to 'Language Change', but one interesting observation the authors make is that (the scholars of the Society) "probably were outraged at the intrusion of the non-scholarly connotation that oriental had acquired".

These authors also stress the fact that "America has become more independent in its thinking from Europe". Thus, the liberal thinking in interpreting the term 'oriens' is that in North America the sun does not rise in the Near East anymore, but in the Atlantic Ocean.

I wonder if some of the negative meanings this word carries are also visible in the Old World. My colleage (A. Huwe) confirms that the German equivalent 'orientalisch' does not bear such meanings. The German word is also claimed to be associated with some motives like Arabian Nights. Our seminar at which we work is called 'Seminar fuer Orientalische Sprachen' covering Near Eastern Studies and East Asia. There is also an interesting term 'morgenlaendisch (coined from Greek by M. Luther)'  in German. So things are not clean-cut.
Some of interesting arguments about why one should avoid the problematic English expression, you find in the following site:

 http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/2788/oriental.html

I hope this helps the discussion.

Sang Hwan SEONG
Korean Department