[KS] failed Koreanists

Walraven, B.C.A. B.C.A.Walraven at let.leidenuniv.nl
Thu May 15 07:35:58 EDT 2003

Dear All,

I would be grateful for some information related to the recent discussion
about the difficulty of teaching and learning Korean.

1. Is there a description available of the various levels of language
acquisition in the US, referred to as 2+ etc.?

2. Is there any written, quotable document that states more or less what a
staff member of the Defense Language Institute said: that to reach level 2+
at least 2250 hours are needed?

We are in the middle of a complete overhaul of our academic structures and
information of this kind will be most useful for getting the new programme
we would like to see accepted.

Best regards,

Boudewijn Walraven
Leiden University