[KS] research on korean youth culture

Hilary Finchum-Sung hfinchum at indiana.edu
Wed May 28 11:45:40 EDT 2003

Dear Andrew,

Stephen Epstein's "Anarchy in the UK, Solidarity in the ROK: Punk Rock
comes to Korea" (_Acta Koreana_ 3(2000): 1-34) and Sarah Morelli's
(sp?) "Who is a Dancing Hero? Rap, Hip-Hop, and Dance in Korean
Popular Culture" (in _Global Noise_ 2001) would be a good place to
start.  Both focus on particular types of South Korean music culture,
but also provide much information on youth culture perspectives and
contemporary developments.

Best,
Hilary Finchum-Sung

Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for Korean Studies
U.C., Berkeley

-------------------
> Does anyone know of any English language articles or texts which
discuss current (1990s+) youth culture in Korea?

> The best (though slightly dated) materials I've been able to find so
far are Wonmo Dong's studies of generational difference published in
the early 1990s.  Is there anything more current that discusses youth?
 I'm interested in research on youth relating to popular culture, mass
media, consumption, gender, sexuality of youth culture.

> It seems this area is badly understudied.  I would greatly
appreciate any pointers.  Thanks

> Andrew Carter
> Monash University,
> Melbourne Australia

> Yahoo! Mobile
> - Check & compose your email via SMS on your Telstra or Vodafone
mobile.
Ph.D. Candidate, Ethnomusicology
Department of Folklore and Ethnomusicology
Indiana University