[KS] research on korean youth culture

Keith Howard kh at soas.ac.uk
Thu May 29 11:29:06 EDT 2003

Andrew,

There seems to be precious little on Korean youth culture in English.
Back in 2001, I edited a supplement to Newsletter 26 (2001) of the
IIAS in Leiden on pop culture in Asia, with articles on pop music
from Stephen Epstein, Roald Maliangkay, Rowan Pease (and myself on
North Korean music). Stephen Epstein and Tim Tangherlini have a film
that couples to his paper on punk. I've also published a couple of
recent articles, a bit more detailed than Sarah's chapter in Tony
Mitchell's book that Hilary refers to:

'Exploding ballads: The Transformation of Korean Pop Music', in Tim
Craig and Richard King (eds),Global Goes Local: Popular Culture in
Asia: 80-95. Vancouver: UBC Press. 2002.

'From Rap to Dance: Appropriation and Assimilation in Korean Pop
Music', in Papers of the British Association of Korean Studies, 8:
39-55. 2003.

And, providing it is accepted by the committee, I am organising a
panel on 'Korea wave' for the Association for Korean Music Research
at the Miami meeting of the Society for Ethnomusicology in September
2003, with papers on Seo Taiji, Music TV, internet music discussion
groups, and so on.

--
Dr Keith Howard
Senior Lecturer in Music, SOAS,