[KS] On Prof. Song's case, again.

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at east.uio.no
Tue Nov 18 13:08:31 EST 2003

Dear Ruediger and Charles, and all others following this thread!

Again thank you very much for your interest in this case. Today I found out
that a special website dedicated to Prof. Song's case -
http://www.freesong.de/ - was set up in Germany by the "Maßnahmenkomitee in
Europa zur Freilassung Prof. Song Du-Yul und zur Abschaffung des Nationalen
Sicherheitsgesetzes" ("European Committee of Measures for Release of Prof.
Song Du-Yul and Abolition of the National Security Law", if I got it
right). It looks like the "Committee" is supported by Germany's Korea
Verband and several Korea-related German academics. The website contains an
online petition for Prof. Song's release, which, as I understand, can be
signed separately by anybody sympathizing with Prof. Song's case. The site
also contains a good - and growing - collection of the press materials on
the case, both in Korean and German, as well as 8 (!) different petitions
for Prof. Song's release, issued by different human rights and academic
bodies inside and outside Korea. So, I guess that those wishing to help
Prof. Song may either suffice themselves with signing that online petition,
or draw a petition of our own - possibly with the emphasis upon Prof.
Song's contribution in deeper understanding of Korea abroad, for example.

With best wishes,

Vladimir Tikhonov (Pak Noja).

Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of East European and Oriental Studies,
Faculty of Arts,
University of Oslo,
P.b. 1030, Blindern, 0315, Oslo, Norway.
Fax: 47-22854140; Tel: 47-22857118
Personal web page: http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/
                    http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html