[KS] Announcement of the launch of the Korea Journal website

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 4 05:26:31 EDT 2003

>I've had no trouble using the link.  Website comes up fine.  Maybe
>the problem is between Korea and overseas.

Okay, here the technology boogy-woogy:

Actually, the site violates RFC standards because it only has one
name server listed (peace.unesco.or.kr  211.217.107.253) -- it should
have at least two. But this isn't even the cause of the problem. It
isn't possible to ping the nameserver IP from the U.S. -- there is a
DNS error BEFORE the connection goes to Korea, here in California
(198.32.176.102), as you can see here (for those hard headed onces
who really want to know -);
http://samspade.org/t/trace?a=211.217.107.253

Why would that be? Some Californian ISP switch board operator killed
this harmless UNESCO IP. But he wasn't drunk.

The cause is a quite familiar one -)::   SPAM

This IP (again we talk about the name server IP for the server on
which "ekoreajournal.net" is hosted (211.217.107.253), is listed as
spammer IP in OSIRUSSOFT and other anti-SPAM databases that ISPs
world-wide use to reduce incoming SPAM.
You can see them all right here:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=211.217.107.253
(look for the RED entries!)

Any connection to "ekoreajournal.net" is therefore blocked for anyone
who is connecting to the Internet using an ISP that utilizes one of
these anti-SPAM databases, independent of the geographical location.

Frank