[KS] Jong-il Personality Cult

Gari Keith Ledyard gkl1 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 26 22:58:50 EDT 2003

I agree with Choe Yong-ho on how to ask the questions concerning how the
Pueblo got to Pyongyang, and think Frank Hoffman's "scary" scenario was a
bit overblown.  If the "Pueblo" had been towed around to Korea's west
coast in the recent months, Frank might have a case because it has been a
quite touchy atmosphere out there.  But several years ago in quieter
times, I'm not so sure the DPRK would have taken on a battle over their
little trophy.  On the other hand, like Yong-ho I find it hard to believe
that an attempt to tow that hulk around the peninsula would not have been
detected and even publicized, and therefore believe the more credible
explanation is that the the DPRK broke the ship down and rebuilt it after
taking it to Pyongyang, as Frank first opined.
	While we're on the Pueblo, a bit of historical trivia with a
Korean twist might be diverting.  The "Pueblo" that was seized was the
third U.S. naval ship to bear that name.  The first "Pueblo" came into
being when "Pueblo" was chosen to be the name of the former "Colorado," an
undistinguished, small cruiser, in 1916; the Navy wanted the name
"Colorado" for a bigger and more important ship, so renamed the cruiser
for the third-rank Colorado town Pueblo.  But this "Pueblo" was just the
second U.S. warship to bear that name.  The first "Colorado" was the flag
ship of the seven-ship fleet whose Marines invaded Kanghwa Island in 1871.
Koreans, being a people who appreciate genealogy, might chuckle at the
long-term revenge exacted in 1968 for the doings of 1871.

Gari Ledyard