[KS] 1871 [was Jong-Il Personality Cult]

Thomas Duvernay goongdo at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 27 04:07:01 EDT 2003

Actually, Gari, there were only five ships involved in the 1871 action (Shinmiyangyo): "Colorado", "Alaska", "Benicia", "Palos", and "Monocacy".

While we're on the subject, though, I find one point about the "Pueblo" controversy ironic.  First, let me say that I support its eventual return to the United States, and that Senate Resolution 29, calling for the return of the ship, is understandable.  With a little re-work, SR 29 could equally call for another stolen item's return.

In 1871, the United States entered Korean territorial waters, without invitation, and with dubious intent.  Subsequently, a lopsided battle broke out between the forces of the two countries, with Korea suffering about 350 losses, as opposed to the United States' three KIA.  At the height of the main battle, on June 11, the flag of the Korean commander, General Uh Je-yeon, was captured, and has ever since been in United States' possession.  It currently resides at the United States Naval Academy Museum, rolled up on the bottom shelf of a display cabinet (I visited it, for the second time, this past summer).  While the U.S. capture of the flag probably saved it from destruction over the years, it really needs to be returned to Korea, where it is considered a national treasure.

Then: http://www.shinmiyangyo.org/kwg46.jpg

Now: http://www.shinmiyangyo.org/usnasugi.jpg

Thomas Duvernay
http://www.shinmiyangyo.org