[KS] northeast asia project-UNESCO heritage sites

Werner Koidl weko at eunet.at
Tue Apr 6 05:14:04 EDT 2004

Dear Prof. Pai and list members,

You wrote: " ... that being on the (World Heritage) list ... is a highly competetive process requiring ... most importantly, its historical "representativity" as a national symbol."
Where could you find this statement ?

Reading the: Criteria for inclusion of properties in the World Heritage List on the whc.unesco.org/nwhc/pages/ I just could find the OUTSTANDING UNIVERSAL VALUE as most important criterion for the nomination and selection process of the WHC.

I guess, the UNESCO-WHC cannot and does not support representative national symbols, its general principle is "to provide for the protection of those cultural and natural properties to be of outstanding universal value".

If somebody (any private person, group or government)  is convinced of e.g. Kwanggaeto's stele being of "outstanding universal value" and that this stele should be included in the World Heritage List, then he has to support the Chinese government, because:
The nomination prodecure of the World Heritage Convention starts with: "STATE PARTIES make a tentative list of cultural and natural properties ON THEIR TERRITORY that they consider of OUTSTANDING UNIVERSAL VALUE".
Thus only China (in the case of e.g. Kwanggaeto's  stele) as a State Party member of the World Heritage Convention can apply for properties on Chinese territory being included on the World Heitage List and then being responsible for the preservation (not reconstruction!) of these properties according to articles of the Convention.

As you mentioned next to "Outstanding Universal Value", the "authenticity" of the property is a very important criterion, which excludes reconstructions, so the Chinese might be clever enough not to reconstruct their properties, to avoid loosing the authenticity of these properties.

By the way, there was an article in the Sept. 2000 Newsletter of the Korea Foundation (Vol. 8, No. 5), where Ariane Perrin as a member of  an ICOMOS survey team to North Korean Heritage sites (in August 2000) and author of this article predicted difficulties for North Korean properties to be included in the List because of some properties showing heavy reconstruction (e.g. Tongmyong's tomb) and thus lack of authenticity.

Finally, I guess, the Italians did not protest, when Germany nominated the "Roman" Porta Nigra in the northwestern German town of Trier to the List or the Lebanese people and government did not protest, when the "Site of Cartagho" built by the Phoenicians in nowadays Tunisia was nominated to the World Heritage Last. Probably the Lebanese are even a little bit proud of it.

Werner Koidl