[KS] Korean Religions In Practice: Soliciting Contributions

Robert Buswell buswell at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue Aug 10 20:50:02 EDT 2004

Colleagues: I am soliciting contributions to the new Korean Religions in
Practice volume that I am currently editing for Princeton University
Press.  (Please contact me off-line at: Buswell at humnet.ucla.edu).  I am
especially in need of contributions on Korean Shamanism, Christianity (both
Catholicism and Protestantism), Confucianism, and folk religions (no
surprise that I have a lot on Buddhism already promised!), but please
propose anything you think might fit. I would also consider including
material on Korean-American religions.
This anthology will appear as part of the Princeton Readings in Religions
series, which already includes such volumes as Chinese Religions in
Practice, Japanese Religions in Practice, and Buddhism in Practice.  Like
the other volumes in the series, Korean Religions in Practice seeks to
reshape the ways in which religious traditions are understood. Rather than
focusing primarily on texts of philosophy or doctrine, the series seeks to
highlight types of discourse (especially ritual manuals, folktales, and
oral narratives) and voices (vernacular, esoteric, domestic, and female)
that have not been sufficiently represented in previous collections or in
standard accounts of Korean religions. The selections may be drawn from
ancient texts, medieval manuscripts, modern pamphlets, and contemporary
fieldwork in Korea. Written texts in literary Chinese reflecting elite
concerns are welcome, as are transcriptions of oral narratives.  Princeton
much prefers translations of texts that have not previously been available
in English, to avoid copyright issues, though some reprinting of crucial
material is possible.
         As you know, there are few comparable anthologies available in
English, on especially one which surveys all of Korean religion
thematically.  There are many religious texts included in the two-volume
Sourcebook of Korean Civilization, for example, but that material typically
derives from the literary elite and is organize by dynastic period, making
it difficult to trace texts by tradition.  I am tentatively planning to
organize the material in this volume by religious tradition, but I will
consider other schemes if the material warrants (both the Chinese Religions
and Japanese Religions in Practice volumes are arranged thematically and
cut across traditions).
         Individual selections should generally be no more than 25 pages
(yielding 15 pages in print), including introduction, translation, and
bibliography.  The series does not use notes and this volume will also
follow that convention, so the introduction is used to explain certain
technical matters. Princeton moves these volumes rapidly through
production, so your contribution will be published much more quickly than
you might typically expect. This is a great opportunity for younger
scholars to see their work into print.

Deadline: Princeton wants the finished manuscript from me early in 2005, so
I need to have final manuscripts by this December, 2004, at the very
latest. Tomorrow is even better.  Please send any proposals to me ASAP.  I
will send you a style sheet for the volume if I think I can use your
selection.

Thanks, Robert Buswell, UCLA
Buswell at humnet.ucla.edu

Robert Buswell
Professor of Buddhist Studies, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures,
UCLA
Director, Center for Buddhist Studies, UCLA
290 Royce Hall, Box 951540, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1540
(310)206-8235 (dept.); (310)825-8808 (fax)
e-mail: Buswell at humnet.ucla.edu