[KS] Korean language transliteration system

Brother Anthony ansonjae at ccs.sogang.ac.kr
Wed Dec 1 21:46:26 EST 2004

I think that most non-Korean transcribers of Korean continue to use MCR. I have begun to incline to the new
system but have used MCR in all but my most recent translations. But the diacritics cannot be used in email
and usually seem to break when files written on Macs are converted for PCs or vice-versa, or even between
different versions of MSWord. I believe it is time to get rid of them universally but what mechanism would
allow this to be agreed? Libraries would surely prefer to retain the system they have been using, anyway, I
am sure.

Anyone with time to spare and nothing better to do might like to browse through the (new-style)
transcriptions at http://englishname.net looking for mistakes. Every word has a button allowing users to
report errors. A puzzling feature in that site is a tendency, at the level of Hotel names at least, to
replace 'eo' with 'u' and 'u' with 'oo' but I do not know where that comes from. I am not sure if I dislike
'eo' or 'oo' more.

Brother Anthony
Sogang University, Seoul