[KS] Korean language transliteration system

Charles Muller acmuller at gol.com
Wed Dec 1 17:36:44 EST 2004

Jaenam Kim wrote:

> I would like to find out what is the dominant transliteration system
> in the U.S.  Is the Korean government transliteration system in wide
> use in the U.S., or is it not used at all?

As will be seen from other responses, most North American scholars and
institutions are embedded in McCune-Reischauer, and I suspect they
will be for some time. Nonetheless, I would like to point out that I
have adopted the new Korean romanization as the standard system in my
online dictionaries (at http://www.acmuller.net) and have taken up the
habit of using it in all of my academic writing--except when forced by
editors or publishers to do otherwise.

Regards,

Chuck

Charles Muller