[KS] Korean language transliteration system

Gill Goddard G.M.Goddard at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Dec 2 06:30:29 EST 2004

Dear colleagues
I know the question relates to US practice, but I thought it might be useful to
throw in the UK information.

The members of the UK Korea Library Group discussed this question recently. 
All library collections use McCune-Reischauer, and have no plans to change to
the new government system in the short run, not least for reasons of lack of
staffing. However we do foresee in the not-so-near future that there may be a
need to change. 
As well as Korean government-influenced organisations, it does look as if the
Korean people as individuals are also adopting the new system as Rupert
Atkinson has noted.
It is therefore likely that those involved in teaching Korean language and
studies abroad will find that they too must change, and when they do, the
libraries are likely to follow.
I am rather hoping that at some point in the future, the Korea National Library
will develop a simple programme to convert M-R to the new system.

Gill Goddard
(writing as Convenor of the Korea Library Group in the UK)

Quoting Jaenam1004 at aol.com:

> I would like to find out what is the dominant transliteration system in the
> U.S.  Is the Korean government transliteration system in wide use in the
> U.S., or is it not used at all?  What is the transliteration system as far as
> cataloguing is concerned?  What is the transliteration system as far as
> teaching Korean in Korean language classes are concerned?  Does anyone know
> which Korean transliteration system the Library of Congress uses, and which
> Korean transliteration system Harvard Yenching library uses?  Thanks.
> Jaenam Kim

Ms Gill Goddard  (Mrs Gill Corteen)                   
East Asian Studies Librarian        
Main Library                       
University of Sheffield
Western Bank
Sheffield S10 2TN

email:g.m.goddard at sheffield.ac.uk
Tel no: (0114 22) 27334  Fax no: 0114 222 7290


More information about the Koreanstudies mailing list