[KS] Korean language transliteration system

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu Dec 2 14:14:48 EST 2004

Good to see this hardy perennial being taken
for another brisk walk around the block
(to mix metaphors).

Re "the Korean gov't ", please don't forget that
there are in fact two of them - and for once
the North looks the more sensible of the pair,
at least to my inexpert eye.

Apart from the odd curious excess of aspiration
- Phyongan, Thaesong, etc - the DPRK's system
seems much more sensible and natural than all
the ghastly Gims and Gyeonggis which are now
the party line in Seoul, seemingly ineluctably.
(But I've become reconciled to Incheon, which - as
someone observed - is no sillier than luncheon.)

Come unification, this will need sorting. I gather
there have been some inter-Korean discussions of
romanization. Did they agree on anything?

best wishes,

Aidan Pheostheo-Carteo (worst of both worlds)

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel:    +44(0)  1274  588586             mobile:  +44(0)  7970  741307
 fax:   +44(0)  1274  773663             ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com               website:  www.aidanfc.net