[KS] Editing romanised Korean into 'readable' English

joy kim joykim at usc.edu
Thu Jan 15 15:49:01 EST 2004

Korean studies librarians struggle with this issue on a daily basis.  The Library of Congress (LC) established an arbitrary set of word division standards which all librarians follow religiously for the sake of achieving bibliographic control as best as we can.

The LC Word Division Rules are very different from those practiced in Korea (e.g., all particles are separated from the word stem, etc), and support keyword searching in romanized databases more effectively.  Ideally, it would be best if authors (who create knowledge) and librarians (who preserve, organize, and disseminate knowledge) use the same standards.  Although all librarians agree and lament that the LC rules have many problems, it is most likely that we will continue to use them in the foreseeable future while trying to improve the rules.  If you wish to peruse the LC Word Division Rules, please visit

http://www.usc.edu/isd/archives/arc/libraries/eastasian/korea/ckm/manual/ChapterIB.pdf

Is it something Korean studies scholars and authors are willing to adopt??  I'd love to hear comments from list members.

Joy Kim
Curator, Korean Heritage Library http://www.usc.edu/isd/korean
University of Southern California
University Park