[KS] NEAC/Korea Foundation grants/fellowships announcements

Scott Goodine scott_goodine at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 18:48:39 EST 2004

In my mind these issues are not related to any kind of
disrespect to non-academics. They are both simple
questions of copyright. As a working archivist at a
large Canadian archives who deals with copyright
everyday, I thought I would add my two cents.

In the first case, the Japan Foundation either owns
copyright or is disregarding copyright (not likely).
Whenever we acquire material we always try to get the
donor to transfer copyright, it makes access much
easier. For what it is worth, that is the first
archives I have ever heard of that does not charge for
rights and reproduction. We would charge you $30 per
still.

In the second case, the Korean Film Archives probably
does not own copyright. Film makers are very
protective of copyright and generally will not sign
over copyright. In that case, copyright is likely
owned by the producer of the film (typically whoever
pays for the making of the film). The wishes of the
actor are irrelevant except perhaps as an inidcator of
good-will. Where perhaps the Korean Film Archives
erred is that they should have told you about the
copyright restrictions and then offered to contact (or
given you the contact number of) the copyright holder
to discuss receiving permission to publish.

Actually, I am surprised and pleased that certain
Korean groups are taking copyright agreements
seriously. I wouldn't have thought so.

Just adding my two cents,

Scott