[KS] NEAC/Korea Foundation grants/fellowships announcements

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 07:44:56 EST 2004

--- Scott Goodine <scott_goodine at yahoo.com> wrote:
> In my mind these issues are not related to any kind
> of disrespect to non-academics. They are both simple
> questions of copyright. In the second case, the
Korean Film Archives probably does not own copyright.
Film makers are very protective of copyright and
generally will not sign over copyright. In that case,
copyright is likely owned by the producer of the film
(typically whoever pays for the making of the film).

In 13 years as a film critic, I've never had to pay
for a film still because film stills help promote a
film, so it's like free advertising. In my case I
mentioned, all the production companies went bankrupt
long ago back in the '70s. In fact, they told me that
if I was a non-profit "academic" journal, it would be
no problem to print the stills. I told them my
magazine was not for profit but they said no dice and
now don't even return my emails.
   I would argue that in the case of Japan, there is a
greater level of cultural confidence overall and so
greater receptiveness towards alternative voices in
terms of promoting Japanese culture internationally.
In Korea, on the other hand, I think there is much
greater cultural insecurity at the official and
institutional level, and hence more of desire to
regulate and focus on "respectable" presentations of
Korean culture abroad (I can give endless examples,
but no need to digress). In fact, the movies I was
inquiring about were B and C movies from the '70s,
including several "eros." Hardly "respectable," right?

   --Scott Burgeson