[KS] Independence Gate (Tongnipmun) during Japanese Colonial Rule?

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen at gwu.edu
Thu Nov 11 06:25:49 EST 2004

Thanks for all the replies to my query.

I went back and checked my photo of the description of Tongnipmun and it states that it was moved in 1979, not 1997. Perhaps that might account for some of the misunderstanding.

And as Peter Schroepfer accurately states, I am aware that the arch was intended as a symbolic declaration of independence from China, not Japan. Still, like Peter, I was curious if anyone could shed some light on the official Japanese policy toward the gate. Note that the tourist description of the nearby Tongnipgwan (Indepedence Hall) notes that the building "was later destroyed by the Japanese." Whether this was done for symbolic or other reasons is not clear.

Cheers,

Kirk W. Larsen
Korea Foundation Assistant Professor of
History and International Affairs