[KS] Independence Gate (Tongnipmun) during Japanese Colonial Rule?

Mark Peterson Mark_Peterson at byu.edu
Fri Nov 12 13:43:38 EST 2004

Greetings all,

	This Independence Gate thread has been interesting.  Thanks
to all who've chimed in.

	Don Clark's comment about the flag inscribed on both sides
reminds me that the writing for tongnimmun is inscribed in Chinese
characters on the north side, where the Chinese embassies would come
in to see it; and proudly in han'gul -- I suppose one of the first
stone inscription in han'gul -- on the south side for all the Korean
population to see.

	Which all says that the monument was aimed at the Chinese.
And the Independence Club in those days was at the same time
pro-Japanese and naive about the Japanese intentions, were they not?
So, reading into the monument any idea of anti-Japanese sentiment is
off the mark, I would think.  The point is independence from both
China and Japan, but at the time of building the monument, Japan was
seen as an ally freeing Korea from China and helping Korea to be a
separate and independent state.  But little did they know....   And
thus, the monument was not defaced by the Japanese because it was
seen as a friendly symbol to them.

	At least that's my take on it,

best regards to you all,
Mark