[KS] re:Independence Gate

Henny Savenije adam_eve at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Sat Nov 13 00:15:18 EST 2004

At 07:07 12/11/2004, you wrote:
>List,
>
>Re: Pukdaemun
>
>It's simple: There was no Pukdaemun in Korea because there had never been
>a Baidamen (North Gate)in China.

I have to correct myself. I heard from Koreans that the king could not be
approached from the back and his throne was facing south, therefore there
was no north gate, but I have a book in front of me published by the Seoul
Museum of history (no title) and there are several old maps of Seoul
reprinted there and all of them have four main gates and four smaller
gates. So the Pukdaemun did exist.

According to this book, "one of the important aspects of mapmaking in the
later Joseon period was the development of the Gunhyeon jido showing the
bu, mok, gun, hyein and other administrative units" "entrance into the city
was only allowed through the four main gates"

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free to
discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen and
Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea through
Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures