[KS] North Gate

Dr. Eckart Dege dege at geographie.uni-kiel.de
Sat Nov 13 15:54:59 EST 2004

Henny Savenije ist right, there were 8 gates in the walls of Seoul (plus the
the water gate O-gan Su-mun). You can see them for instance on the map of Seoul
by Kim Chong-ho (1824). But the great North Gate was not called Pukdaemun, but
instead Sukch'ong-mun. It was located east of Pugak-san (and was always
closed). West of Pugak-san was the little North Gate, called Chaha-mun. See
Allen D. Clark / Donald N. Clark: Seoul Past and Present. A guide to Yi
T'aejo's Capital. Seoul (RAS), 1969, pp.40-42.

Eckart Dege

--
Prof. Dr. Eckart Dege
Geographisches Institut