[KS] re:Independence Gate

Andrei Lankov anlankov at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 14 07:15:47 EST 2004

Dear list,

Actually, all Seoul gates had official ornate names
which were seldom used in everyday discourse (now
there are attempts to re-introduce these official
names). The city gates were known by the four cardinal
directions instead. The North Gate was an exception,
since it was much more commonly referred to as
SukjOngmun if it was referred to at all, since it did
not had any practical function. The gate existed from
the very beginning, but remained closed from the early
15th century (from 1413, more presicely) because of
the ¡®feng-shui¡¯ problems. Now we can see a restored
version of 1975-1976 when parts of the city was were
essentially re-built.

--- Henny Savenije <adam_eve at henny-savenije.pe.kr>

http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm
> In Korean
> http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch
> In Dutch
> http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos
> Article about Witsen and
> Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
> http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in
> English) Korea through
> Western Cartographic eyes
> http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the