[KS] Followup - Koreans in Japanese Internment Camps in WWII? (from Vol. 16 Iss. 18)

Bub-Joo S. Lee (GKN-LA net) bjslee at gkn-la.net
Fri Oct 22 13:06:32 EDT 2004

Just to add, I am told that "Korean groups (in the US) had a campaign to
distribute badges with crossed Korean and American flags. There was also a
registration program organized by KNA [the Korean National Association]
which kept Koreans from being interned."

Apparently there was precedent for some of this work, since KNA (?) and
other groups based in California worked way back in 1913 (with William
Jennings Bryan, who was the  Secretary of State at the time) recognizing the
KNA as representing Koreans in this country, and more importantly
recognizing (expressly or by implication) that they were not Japanese
citizens/subjects (even though Korea had been effectively annexed by Japan).

FYI, Philip Cuddy (flipped at pacbell.net) has physical samples of the
aforementioned badges (photo ID cards with a KNA stamp on them after they
were verified at the KNA building in Los Angeles).

I encourage those of you interested on this matter to contact him directly
(By the way, for those of you who don't know, he is the grandson of "Dosan"
Changho-Ahn).

Regards!