[KS] Korean edge: Japanese learning Korean and Korean becoming Japanese?

Lee JooBai jblee6952 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 19:50:04 EDT 2004

Dear List,

The following articles relating to Korean language study by Japanese
appeared
on 10/10/2004 in the English editions of two Korean dailies.

The articles were striking as “Korean becoming Japanese” article suggests
that
Korean language is losing popularity in Japan, while the second article
titled “Korean getting most-favored language status” suggests that Korean
language is becoming a very popular language in Japan.

“Korean becoming Japanese”
http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/opinion/200410/kt2004101018405954130.htm

“Korean getting most-favored language status”
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200410/10/200410102223193109900090409041.html

Given the grammatical similarity between Korean and Japanese and given that
the ethnic Koreans in Japan have a certain edge over the Koreans in
peninsula
in having been drilled in Chinese characters, I would have thought that
Korean
language maintenance would’ve been a breeze.  I was struck by the
possibility
that it is the peninsula educated Koreans who may actually have the edge.

The only thing I found on the web that tackled this issue was a series of
posts
in Usenet from December of 2002 by Bart Mathias.  Below is the link to the
full thread.  You can click on “Complete Thread (10 Articles)” to see the
full
exchange.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=bart+mathias+acquisition+of+Sino-J&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=l2.D1.5N2n7T9GC9a5aDb.NR%40hawaii.edu&rnum=1

While tones introduce some complication when taking up the same issue with
Mandarin
Chinese, I wonder if the Sino-Korean pronunciations do not give a similar
edge in learning
Chinese and if it does not similarly explain the loss of Korean by ethnic
Koreans
in China?  And I wonder how much gratitude should be given once again to
King Sejong.

I wonder if list members could comment on this conundrum?

Regards,

JooBai Lee

www.KoreanYes.com

P.S.  Below is a segment from that Usenet thread.  I hope my posting is not
seen as an unprincipled attempt at student-grab from the Japanese and
Chinese
departments.
(I can’t resist putting in a link to DaeJangGeum mania in Taiwan

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2004/10/15/2003206923
)