[KS] seok

T.N. Park tnpark at mac.com
Fri Apr 22 12:36:25 EDT 2005

Cwiertka, K.J. wrote:
> I am trying to find out precisely how many litres is there in 1 seok
> (seom). After searching several Korean-English dictionaries, I found
> out that 1 seok is an equivalent of 47.6 US gallons. Multiplying it by
> 4.405 (1 gallon = 4.405 litre) I came up with the figure 209.678. Is
> this
> correct? (I must admit that maths is not my strongest point...)

That's what calculators are for.

The problem here is that you used, to my knowledge, the wrong
conversion for gallons to liters. The American Heritage Dictionary and
my Handspring PDA both confirm that one gallon equals 3.785 liters, not
4.405 (unless, like the dollar, the gallon is fluctuating).

> The Japanese equivalent of seok (koku) is 180 litre. Does this mean
> that the size of the unit written with the same character differed
> depending on the region where it was used?

My calculation of 47.6 gallons per sŏk comes out to 180.2 liters per
sŏk, which is darn close to 180. So close as to be basically the same,
methinks.

> It would be very convenient indeed if a list of traditional Korean
> measurements translated into contemporary units existed. DO you know
> where I can find one? If it does not exist, maybe it is a good idea to
> make one and place at one of the Korean studies websites?

I would be happy to compile such a list, if others gave me an idea of
things to include. Off-hand, I can only think of kŭn, sŏk, and p'yŏng,
but it's very, very late.

T'NP