[KS] seok

Cwiertka, K.J. K.J.Cwiertka at let.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Apr 22 09:58:24 EDT 2005

Dear Colleagues,
I am slightly reluctant to post this message, because my question is at
first sight not of a very scientific nature. However, the issue is of
vital importance for my data, so I hope that you will be able to help
me.

I am trying to find out precisely how many litres is there in 1 seok
(seom). After searching several Korean-English dictionaries, I found out
that 1 seok is an equivalent of 47.6 US gallons. Multiplying it by 4.405
(1 gallon = 4.405 litre) I came up with the figure 209.678. Is this
correct? (I must admit that maths is not my strongest point...)

The Japanese equivalent of seok (koku) is 180 litre. Does this mean that
the size of the unit written with the same character differed depending
on the region where it was used?

It would be very convenient indeed if a list of traditional Korean
measurements translated into contemporary units existed. DO you know
where I can find one? If it does not exist, maybe it is a good idea to
make one and place at one of the Korean studies websites?

With best wishes for the week-end
Katarzyna

Katarzyna J. Cwiertka, PhD
Centre for Japanese and Korean Studies