[KS] seok

Sunjoo Kim sunjookim1 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:54:32 EDT 2005

Dear Dr. Cwiertka and list members,

I could not read the most recent posting by Dr. Cwiertka, but I like to
share what I've so far figured out. My main area of study is late Choson
period, for which problems involving measures and weights are greater
because the official standards had changed over time and regional
differences were great. It will be great if you can correct me if I am wrong
in any of following figures.

Weights and Measures

1 chu-ch’ók = 20.795 cm
1 po = 6 chu-ch’ók = 1.25 m
1 chang = 10 chu-ch’ók = 2.08 m
1 ri = 360 po = 2,160 chu-ch’ók = 449.17 m

1 sóm (sOk/seok) = 15 or 20 mal = one picul of grain by volume = 89.464 or
119.285 liter
1 mal = 10 toe = 5.96 liter
1 toe = 10 hop = 0.596 liter

Source: Pak Húngsu, “Toryanghyóng chedo” [Weights and measures], in
Han’guksa [History of Korea] v. 24, (Seoul: Kuksa p’yónch’an wiwónhoe,
1994), pp. 599-625; “Toryangyýong” [Weights and measaures], On-line
EncyKorea http://www.encykorea.com

Sun Joo Kim
Assistant Professor of Korean History
EALC, Harvard University