[KS] experimental nuclear reactor in South Korea

Balazs Szalontai HPHSZB01 at phd.ceu.hu
Tue Apr 26 16:27:32 EDT 2005

Dear All,

may I have a question about the South Korean nuclear program? In
Michael L. Siler's article, "U.S. Nuclear Nonproliferation Policy in the
Northeast Asian Region during the Cold War: The South Korean Case"
("East Asia: An International Quarterly," Autumn/Winter 1998), there is
a reference to that

"Having received substantial U.S. and Western nuclear reactor
technology and enriched uranium since the early 1960s, South Korea
willingly ratified the Partial Test Ban Treaty (1964)."

When exactly did the U.S. start assisting South Korea in the field of
nuclear research and when did the construction of an experimental
nuclear reactor begin in the ROK? I know that in 1959 the U.S. signed an
agreement to assist South Vietnam in the field of nuclear research. In
1958 Saigon established an Atomic Energy Office, in 1961 a nuclear
research center was established in Da Lat, and in 1963, just before the
fall of Ngo Dinh Diem, the construction of an experimental nuclear
reactor was completed in the RVN.

Thanks in advance,
Balazs Szalontai