[KS] Info about courses at Korean universities

DeberniereTorrey djtorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 29 21:22:02 EDT 2005

Hi Aggy,

Just a couple of comments.

You should keep in mind that if you're thinking of
taking Korean lit courses, your Korean will need to be
advanced, and for any pre-modern lit courses, you'll
also need to be able to read Sino-Korean. I'm all for
Korean lit, but I wouldn't advise it unless you're
really interested.

In terms of English-language graduate programs, if you
have any interest in law, there's the Handong
International Law School (HILS) at Handong University
in Pohang. At this point, the LSAT isn't required for
entrance to HILS, and the Tennessee Bar is the only US
Bar exam HILS students are eligible to take, so to
continue in the field of law, depending on where you
want to practice, you'd have to do more work
afterward, but it seems the three-year program is
quite good, and has an emphasis on international law,
especially for East and Central Asia, that's hard to
find in other places. It's a new, small program, so
there's a lot of possibility for growth. The first
class of 5 graduated in March, and two of the five
passed the Tennessee Bar, which made the news in
Korea, it being the first time students educated in
Korea were able to do that. One thing to be noted is
that it has an evangelical Christian emphasis, and
although you don't have to be a Christian yourself,
you will be expected to attend chapel and participate
in certain religious activities, I believe. Most
students and all faculty are practicing Christians,
and Handong University as a whole has a conservative
Christian atmosphere that you'd need to be prepared
for. Here's the website:
http://lawschool.handong.edu/english/default.asp

Good luck,

Deberniere T.