[KS] seok

Bryan R. Ross rossb003 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Apr 27 01:13:53 EDT 2005

Owen,

I believe the Korean word for the character is dan (Japanese: taba).
As someone who has spent too many hours trying to convert Asian weights
and measures to relevant and understandable modern equivalents, I
highly recommend the following sites.

http://www2.gol.com/users/pbw/unit.htm

http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/index.html

http://www.albany.edu/eas/205/

Bryan Ross
Univ of Hawaii

On Tuesday, April 26, 2005, at 03:42  AM, Owen Miller wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> While we're on this topic, I have another measurement-related question
> that someone out there might have the answer to.
> I have come across the term 'sok' (aV - not sure whether Chinese
> characters show up on here) used for a quantity of paper. I think it
> is also equivalent to the native Korean word 'mut' (95) meaning some
> sort of bundle. I would be interested to know whether anyone knows how
> many sheets of paper this term refers to. Dictionary entries seem to
> be a little vague.
>
> Thanks,
> Owen Miller
> SOAS