[KS] Photos of Yanghwajin Foreigners Cemetery and Foreigners Museum Project

K-Flexx manyongdae at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 05:10:46 EDT 2005

Dear all

Mapo-gu is in the process of cleaning and sprucing up
Yanghwajin foreigners' cemetery. There is talk of also
opening a permanent museum for artefacts and photos
related to the lives of foreigners in Korea over the
centuries.

What I am helping to look for at the moment is any
photos showing the cemetery (either as the main focus
or in the background) pre-World War Two. Does anyone
have access to any, or know who might?

Also, to those who live in Korea, we are trying to get
an informal meeting once a month for any and all who
are interested in this project. In particular
long-termers and old-timers are welcome (and needed!)
because their input will help shape what this thing
becomes.

There is still  much to be decided, but a team from
Hongik University has already won the contract from
Mapo-gu, and some prominent people are involved (Dr
Donald Clark being one of them). So this is a
legitimate deal, and I hope it turns into something
that can be more than a tourist attraction, but
something actually of value historically.

Any and all replies are welcome.

Best regards,

jacco Z.