[KS] The Romanization Discussion

John McGuire wiredsquiremcguire at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 23:06:38 EDT 2005

Up until June 19, I had been reading with some interest the discussion on
this list concerning the Romanization of the Korean language. The last
message that I received in that thread came from Prof. Lee Sang-Oak, who
suggested (if I understand him correctly) that the system was changed in
2000 partly because a Mr. Oh, in the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, "was
very eager to obtain some new achievement to be promoted." Given the costs
and trouble involved in changing a system of transliteration, it is
astonishing, if true, that the change would have been motivated, even in
part, by one man's career ambitions. What is more astonishing, however, is
the silence on this list following Prof. Lee's message. Did the discussion
really die or was it moved off of this list?

John McGuire

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.