[KS] NK school system

Tracy sayyes2korea at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 12:05:40 EDT 2005

Dear Dr. Frank,

With regards to the school system, you might find the Dutch documentary "A day in the Life" of interest.  See the following website: http://www.goldenmonkey.nl/index2.htm

Part of the film shows teachers in training, a workshop of sorts, describing the best ways to teach the life of Kim Jong Il to elementary/preschool students.  The director of this film may have more information on grading etc.
 Director:  Pieter Fleury
 Singel 354 Amsterdam
PO Box 11191
1001 GD Amsterdam
Phone: 020-6277145, FAX 020-6256691
Email:  golden at monkey.demon.nl

Hope this is helpful.
Sincerely,

Tracy Stober
MA International Studies-Korea
University of Washington, Seattle

Rüdiger Frank <rfrank at koreanstudies.de> wrote:
Dear colleagues,

thee brief questions on the North Korean school system (in particular
chung-kodùnghakkyo):

(1) As far as I know, grading is currently done as in Russia, i.e., five
grades with 5 being the highest and 1 being the lowest. Is it true that in
the past, there were 10 grades instead of 5? If so, when was that system
changed?

(2) The revolutionary deeds and revolutionary history of Kim Il-sung are
the first subjects to appear on a school report card. When did this start?
Currently, the revolutionary deeds and history of Kim Jong-il are listed on
second place on the school report card. When was this subject introduced
into the regular curriculum? Presumably after 1980, but this is a pretty
rough estimate...

(3) The same question for the revolutionary history of Kim Chòng-suk.

I am grateful for any hints. I am looking forard to meeting many of you in
Sheffield, all the best

Ruediger