[KS] Question on colonial photography

J.Scott Burgeson jsburgeson at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 5 02:14:10 EST 2005

--- Pai hyungil <hyungpai at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> In my recent research on photography in the early
> colonial era, I have come across quite a few images
of Korean women, such as haenyo (diving women) and
country women with exposed breasts.
> Was this part of the male photographers' fascination
> with the exotic/erotic female?

Apparently an underground photographic pornography
market also existed in Korea since at least late
Choson/late 19th century. Although I have not seen
such images myself as they are extremeley rare,
collectors describe intentionally sexualized images of
topless Korean women (i.e., exposed breasts but not
genitalia) posing seated in interior spaces alongside
Korean men. It is probable that these images were
taken by visiting Japanese photographers aiming for a
Japanese or foreign market. Such images are clearly
different from those everyday life portraits described
above, and were no doubt meant for purposes of
"erotic" arousal...
   --Scott Bug